Sunday, July 31, 2005

Golf Channel Viewer's Cup - July 2005

I was fortunate to be invited to attend a pre-event and the opening ceremonies for the second annual (?) Golf Channel Viewer's Cup, for the second year held at Pinehurst Resort. I looked forward to many things about this event, including

- It would be an opportunity for me to play Pinehurst No. 2 within weeks of the 2005 U.S. Open. I played No. 2 weeks before (you can read about that here)
- I wanted to experience first hand how Golf Channel viewers interact with the brand they are so fanatical about
- I looked forward to catching up with some of my friends at The Golf Channel who would be attending

Here's Kenny Booth, for instance, posing with a couple of his more-difficult-to-get-excited customers:

The event didn't disappoint. Pinehurst No. 2, which we played on Wednesday, July 27, was exceptional. The fairways were still at U.S. Open width (though the rough was, thankfully, a bit shorter), the greens quick and (for No. 2) true. John Donnelly, The Golf Channel bigwig in our group, insisted we play from the U.S. Open tees, a suggestion I couldn't resist (though JD is at least 50 yards longer than I off the tee). It was a good round (82, thank you), as was our round on No. 4 the next day (76, thank you), so the golf, certainly, was top drawer.

But the golf was only a part of the week. The Golf Channel knows how to entertain, whether it's a customer or a viewer in their midst. The food, the events, the booty - I've never seen so much stuff given away - all were absolutely first class.

By the time the viewers swarmed into the real event's kick-off, a Thursday night reception, it was clear that our customer group was just the warm-up; the show this week was the Viewer's Cup. From the videos presented that night to the banter from the hosts - Kelly Tilghman and Vince Cellini - the evening catered to those who paid almost $3,000 to be near the TV channel they love most.

The rabidity of The Golf Channel audience is fascinating, and if I were a sociologist, I'm sure I could wax pedantic on brand association or transference as a phenomenon in today's media culture blah blah blah. I will say this, however: try as The Golf Channel management does to downplay the "junkie" label as a fit description for their viewers, they are - many of them, anyway - junkies. Andy Finn, Pinehurst's SVP of sales, hilariously described himself as a GCJ ("Golf Channel Junkie") in his opening remarks at the reception. This is a brand that has so much potential, so much room for further exploitation, one of the most critical things I can say is that it is - at this point, at least - underachieving.

Finally, I've been critical at times of customer service practices in general, of the sometimes lackluster performance of Pinehurst in particular. But not this week. Our group stayed at the Holly Inn ... excellent. I managed to make time to visit the Spa at Pinehurst for the first time ... exceptional. The banquet food we had - in a small (50) and large (250) group ... imaginative and tasty. (I've already mentioned the golf.) And this time - really - the service was attentive and helpful. Maybe it was the singular focus of the event: The Golf Channel had practically taken over the entire resort. Or maybe it was the fact that this event came at what is usually a slower time for Pinehurst (summer in Pinehurst isn't exactly prime time). Whatever the reason, this trip to Pinehurst was first rate in virtually every way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home