Monday, July 18, 2005

Cliffs at Glassy - July 14, 2005

Having returned from links golf in Scotland, I didn't quite prepare myself for golf in the good ol' USA. And I certainly wasn't prepared for golf in the mountains, wet weather or rye grass roughs.

Did I say wet weather?
Fog at Glassy

I played in a Member Guest event at The Cliffs at Glassy, part of a huge residential development just above Spartanburg, SC. The course itself isn't terribly long, and the fairways, though not generous, they are certainly ample, even for my driver. But undulating greens, rainy conditions (and no roll) - this was as foreign to my recent golf experience as it could be.

Jeff Rubin invited me months ago as his guest for this match play format event. It was great fun, with all the accoutrements of a first class Member Guest (I'm referring to great food and plenty of refreshment, unique tee gifts, etc.). We didn't do particularly well - losing our first match 7-2, then winning 6-3, before closing out 5-4, 5-4, 5-4. (So it's likely to be once and done for yours truly.)

The key to my experience, however, was the amazing change in "golfography." From parched links turf to soaked rye grass; from no grass with which to take a divot to huge pelts, replaced and then sanded; from long, straight putts from as far as 30 yards off the green to wild, slick, 15 footers with five feet of break.... Believe me, I was reminded how diverse golf yards can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home