Tuesday, May 03, 2005

LINKS Cup - May 2, 2005

The inaugural event (several of the LINKS folks balked at the idea that this might be "annual") was held at the Oconee Course at Reynolds Plantation. It was my first trip to the Ritz-Carlton Lodge on the lake, and I was impressed with what I lovingly called a "Ritz Lite." This Ritz was a bit light on the normal accoutrements we've grown to welcome and expect, but a worthy brand extension nevertheless. (For more on brand extensions, stay tuned to burris.blogspot.com.)

Oconee Clubhouse

I played poorly, but not to worry; I'm tired of trying to play golf around other commitments. One more event in the coming days, and then I can take a break for a bit.

The LINKS Cup was the magazine's attempt to commune with its readers...and make an advertiser happy by hosting an event at their facility. There's more and more of this going on these days. The example I point to most often is The Golf Channel's Viewer's Cup, still a fledgling event, but one with potentially great impact on the Channel's golden triangle of relationships: the network, their viewers, and sponsors.

The Oconee Course (Rees Jones) was beautiful, immaculately groomed, and in fine condition. Scoring should have been lower, but it wasn't, and I can't explain why. The putting surfaces were tough to read, but smooth as any I've played, perhaps because ours was the first group out that morning. Many of the fairways are "enclosed" by mounds that help keep your (or my) errant tee shots in play. My one quibble: like so many courses, this one was built to sell real estate, so carts are necessary to traverse the distances from greens to tees. You couldn't walk this course in less than five hours, though the playing areas themselves are extremely walkable.

The entire Reynolds Plantation area continues to grow, and all seem to be solid luxury offerings. More than 90 holes, according to Bill Houghton, RP's VP of Marketing. Thousands (forgot how many 1000's, but it's a lot) of acres of shore-front property. Out in the middle of nowhere. It truly is a marvel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home